Real Madrid are in a commanding lead after beating city rivals Atletico Madrid 3-0 thanks to a hattrick from Cristiano Ronaldo.
The Portuguese superstar netted in the 10th, 73rd and 86th minutes to give the Los Blancos a commanding lead going into the second leg a week later at the Vicente Calderon.
This was Cristiano Ronaldo’s second derby hattrick this season scoring three times against them at the Vicente Calderon in November.
The hattrick sends Madrid to a great lead as they seek to become the first team to win the Champions League back-to-back since it was changed to this format in 1992.
Some key stats posted by Opta after what was a great night for the Real Madrid faithfuls are:
1. Cristiano Ronaldo has now netted 13 semi-final goals in the European Cup/Champions League (10 for Real Madrid, three for Manchester United); the most by any player.
2. The Portugal international has scored more Champions League goals (103) than opponents Atletico Madrid (100).
3. None of the previous five teams to lose a Champions League semi-final first leg by three or more goals have progressed from the tie.
4. Atletico suffered their joint worst Champions League defeat under Diego Simeone (also against Real Madrid in the 2013/14 final – 1-4).
5. Real Madrid kept their first clean sheet in the Champions League since last year’s semi-final against Manchester City (in both legs), ending a run of 11 successive games without one.
The return leg will take place on Wednesday, 10th May, 2017 at the Vicente Calderon in what will be Atletico last Champions League game at the Vicente Calderon.
Congratulations to Real Madrid