After leaving the last 16, the Champions League will enter the decisive stage of the competition and this Friday (12.00 hours) in Nyon will be held the quarterfinal draw, in which eight teams ( FC Barcelona , Real Madrid, Atletico of Madrid , Bayern Munich , Borussia Dortmund , Juventus ofTurin , Monaco and Leicester City ) hope to meet their rivals in this round.
With regard to the qualifiers that can be given during the draw, from MD we wanted to analyze in what conditions the eight best teams in Europe arrive at the event and what are their options to continue with the dream of lifting the Champions League in Cardiff, the Next June 3.
· Virtues : After the historic comeback against PSG, the Barça have the moral to the clouds to re-raise the Champions League and have several arguments in the squad to be considered as a favorite to follow his way at the maximum Continental competition. Messi continues to marvel, Neymar has recovered sensations and the rest of the team seems to have taken a step forward after Luis Enrique announced that he will not continue in the bench next season, so that Barça will be one of the most feared rivals draw.
· Weaknesses : Barça’s good performance in the Champions League, especially as a local, contrasts with the irregularity they have shown in LaLiga Santander, where they have not finished winning and continue to win the title. The team has shown certain gaps when it comes to generating the football that has us accustomed, too commended to what the trident can be removed from the sleeve, as was expressed in the first leg against PSG, so Luis Enrique should find The formula to avoid new setbacks.
· Virtues : The merengue set has the ability to compete until the last second, something vital in the Champions League, where any detail can decant the balance in your favor. The aerial game, with Sergio Ramos at the top, is one of their main weapons, but the speed of its trio of attackers -Cristiano Ronaldo, Karim Benzema and Gareth Bale- allows them to be a very dangerous team to counterattack and have clear chances of Goal almost out of nowhere. One of the ‘cocos’ of the draw, without a doubt.
· Weaknesses : The game that has been exhibited by Zinedine Zidane’s team in recent days is leaving much to be desired, to the point that Sergio Ramos has had to multiply to save the team from losing important points in LaLiga Santander and to certify the classification for Quarter-finals with a double in San Paolo to defeat Naples. With the BBC, whites do not just carburet and suffer to generate chances through possession.
ATLÉTICO DE MADRID
· Virtues : One of the best defensively armed teams in the world, if not the best. The rojiblancos have made the Vicente Calderón an impregnable fort, in which no one has scored in the last three Champions League, and they have talented footballers like Antoine Griezmann or Yannick Carrasco, capable of disentangling any party with an individual action. All under the guard of Jan Oblak, one of the best goalkeepers in the world, who has become very inspired after his shoulder injury.
· Weaknesses : After some spectacular seasons, fighting for almost all the titles at stake, this course is being more complicated for those of the ‘Cholo’ Simeone, who have been relegated in the dispute of LaLiga Santander and have not offered the best sensations in the main continental competition. Their irregularity to obtain victories can happen to them in the crossing of rooms.
· Virtues : The Bavarian outfit is, without discussion, one of the rivals to avoid in the quarterfinal draw for the rest of classified teams. Carlo Ancelotti has put together a very complete squad, with level alternatives in all positions, and has on payroll Robert Lewandowski, a predator of the area that is always looking for the way of the goal. In addition, in the rear, has a solid pair of plants – Jerome Boateng and Mats Hummels – and Manuel Neuer, considered by many as the best in the world.
· Weaknesses : On paper, Bayern Munich seem to have no loophole to which rivals can be entrusted, but if you look at their numbers this season they are not as good as the ones presented last season. In addition, his figures -Franck Ribéry and Arjen Robben- are beginning to be veterans, and their surrogate theorists -Douglas Costa and Kingsley Coman-have just entered assiduously into Ancelotti’s plans.
· Virtues : One of the ‘capped’ of qualifiers for the quarter-finals of the Champions League. The German team has more than compensated in all the lines and counts in its ranks with Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, one of the most formidable scorers this season. In addition, coach Thomas Tuchel is giving confidence to young values of the team, such as Ousmane Dembélé or Christian Pulisic, who despite their early age are performing wonderfully and offer the team plenty of overflow.
· Weaknesses : Your big problem is defensive fragility. In Bundesliga has lost games in which dominated in the scoreboard, something that if it happens in Champions you can give up for you. In addition, Borussia Dortmund will have the lows of Mario Götze, until the end of the season, and Marco Reus, doubtful for the going, that suppose a hard setback for the plans of Thomas Tuchel.
JUVENTUS OF TURIN
· Virtues : The ‘Vecchia Signora’ has one of the most complete templates in the world and their strength in the lead of Serie A will allow them to be dosed with a view to the quarterfinal tie. With Paulo Dybala in a state of spectacular form and a center of the field that combines intensity and quality, besides the defensive wall formed by Giorgio Chiellini, Leonardo Bonucci and Andrea Barzagli, the set of Massimiliano Allegri wants to rejoin the thorn in Berlin in 2015 and reign in Europe for the third time in its history.
· Weaknesses : The pressure to win the Champions League is beginning to be felt at Juventus and this may be their big handicap to qualify for the semi-finals and, finally, the title in the Cardiff final. They have economic and sporting potential, but for 21 years they have not dominated Europe and among the fans there is a certain nervousness every time they reach the decisive phase of the competition.
· Virtues : The leaders of Ligue 1 surprised Manchester City with their offensive and cheeky game and deserved their passage to the quarterfinals. A notice for sailors of the potential of the set of Leonardo Jardim, who is the second most scoring team in Europe and brings together a squad with quality players such as Bernardo Silva or the very young Kylian Mbappé with footballers of more work and sacrifice like Fabinho or Tiemoué Bakayoko with Those that can put in trouble to any rival.
· Weaknesses : If the youth of the Monaco team can be considered a positive factor in the medium-long term, at this point in the Champions League the inexperience of their players can complicate the team’s options to continue with the European dream. Most quarter-qualified teams already know what it is like to face a tie of this caliber, so that the Monegasque must fill this lack of maturity in the great appointments to get into the four best clubs on the continent.
· Virtudes: El cuento de hadas de los ‘foxes’ sigue sumando capítulos y, después del despido de Claudio Ranieri, Craig Shakespeare ha tomado la pluma para escribir nuevas páginas en su historia. Eliminaron al Sevilla con sus armas, y con la picaresca de Jamie Vardy, y demostraron que son un equipo muy trabajado a nivel defensivo, por lo que el rival al que se enfrenten deberá derribar el entramado comandado por Wes Morgan y Robert Huth, dos auténticos gigantes. La inspiración de Riyad Mahrez, desdibujado este curso, también será otro factor a tener en cuenta en los cruces de cuartos de final.
· Weaknesses : While it is true that the Leicester has set the course after a catastrophic start to the season, the English club is the lowest-ranked team among the top eight in Europe. His dependence on Jamie Vardy’s goals is evident and this campaign is having a lot of difficulty in creating danger for the rivals, who have taken a good note of their game after the historic feat of winning the Premier League title. In addition, very few players in the squad have come so far in European competition, so the pressure can pass them.
Credit : El Mundo