The President of Ghana has reinstated some government officials who were alleged to have misconducted themselves in the Australian Commonwealth Games controversy.
Ghana’s Deputy Minister of Youth and Sports, Pius Enam Hadzide and the Board Chairman of the National Sports Authority, Kwadwo Baah Agyeman, have officially been reinstated.
His Excellency, Nana Addo Dankwah Akuffo- Addo made this known when he addressed the public on Saturday at the National Congress of his ruling party National Patriotic Party at Koforidua.
Speaking at the NPP 26th Delegates Conference, President Akuffo-Addo said, “on the Australian visa scandal which has exonerated the suspended deputy minister for youth and sports from any complicity in the visa fraud, I will lift his suspension on Monday and return him to the office.”
The seat of government confirmed this on Monday after the revelation by the President. This was contained in a statement signed by Mr. Eugene Arhin, the Director of Communications at the Presidency.
In April 2018, it emerged that 50 Ghanaians had been deported from Australia after they were deemed to be “non-genuine travellers” posing as journalists for the Commonwealth Games.
According to Australian authorities, although all the affected persons had the necessary accreditation, they were not convinced the reported persons were real journalists.
Many were said to lack basic journalistic tools like smartphones, recorders or cameras and had no idea about the sporting disciplines they were going to cover.
Following this, the government referred the case to the National Security for investigations to begin.